Friday, April 30, 2010

sketchbook






Thought I'd post some of the sketches I've been working on while riding the bus back and forth. So many creative outlets are presenting themselves to me, i truly feel the gentle calling and i am walking along the path again. i get lost but pick it back up. it's been 7 years since Julian was born and I've been on another planet but i'm slowly getting back in the waters of creation. someone told me when i first got pregnant that i'd have to stop for awhile at least 5 years my kids would need all of me...and i remember i shuddered standing there with my paintbrush wondering how the heck i'd stop. i don't think she was entirely correct though because you can stay creative even with small children just i different ways. so for now i am sketching and painting and moving closer and closer back to my oils but now my life is bigger and fuller and so the mediums i work in have grown too. my gardening saved my life during the times i wasn't drawing or painting. i don't know why i stopped for so long. it's ridiculous...why would you stop something that save you from going into the depths? so the sketching, and the visual journaling, the life drawing at work, the little painting group i found just recently, and the artistic mothers online group. these people and places are keeping my spark alive....

5 comments:

E Makes Art said...

Wow! Your sketches are amazing! Please post more picts of your work, it's very inspiring.

Daria said...

That's interesting insight about the first 5 years of raising children. I never thought of it in terms of creativity being mostly on hold in order to give so much to them.

Your sketches are very neat. How wonderful that you utilize your bus time for such good use. I bet you see some characters there.

chrisw said...

wonderful sketches!

E Makes Art said...

Hi! It was so nice to hear from you. Glad you enjoyed my blog. Can't wait to see more sketches : )

xoEsther

Nate Evans said...

Hi Vickie,

I'm wondering if you went to MVHS? I think I remember you from art class. Your drawings are incredible! In high school, I (egotistically) decided I was the best artist in the school. But you are a master! Your work is beautiful. I'm happy to discover that I wasn't the only one who kept drawing and painting.

If you get this, find me on FaceBook.

Nathan Price Evans